Fresh Take on a Classic Thanksgiving Recipe – Green Bean Casserole
Are you looking for a way to spice up this traditional Thanksgiving favorite and surprise your family and friends with something new? Make sure you get out the biggest serving dish you can find. This delicious, easy-to-make recipe will have you and everyone else at your table clamoring for more.
Better Cheddar Green Bean Casserole
Most dishes are better with cheese added. This twist on green bean casserole is no exception. Get ready for a little extra bite in this already scrumptious side.
Cook time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Makes: 10 servings
- 6 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 3 shallots, minced
- 8 ounces crimini or white mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme (fresh, if possible)
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (divided into 8-ounce segments)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth (reduced sodium, if possible)
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 4 ½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup flour
- ¼ cup dry sherry
Gather your ingredients. Set aside on the counter. Next, preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, and coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
Time to cook!
- Boil a few inches of water in a large saucepan (use a steamer attachment if you have one). Steam green beans for about 4 minutes until they’re tender, but crisp. Remove the beans from heat and set aside.
- Heat 4 teaspoons oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until they start to brown.
- In the same skillet, add mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms release their juices and the liquid evaporates. Add sherry and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until it too has fully evaporated.
- Evenly pour the flour over your mushroom mixture until everything is fully coated. Add your chicken (or vegetable) broth and milk. Bring it all to a simmer, stirring until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese. Next, add the green beans to combine. Transfer full mixture to your prepared casserole dish, and top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- In a new dish, stir your breadcrumbs with the remaining ½ teaspoon oil. Add paprika and onion powder. Stir until the breadcrumbs are evenly moist and a bright orange color. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over the casserole.
- Transfer your casserole dish to the oven. Bake 20-25 minutes or until the dish is golden brown on top with bubbling cheese. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes to cool. Then enjoy!