On Thursday, April 27, 2017 12pm – 1pm at the IOT Clovis Campus, IOT is participating in the San Joaquin Walk-A-Thon fundraiser for Talk About Curing Autism (TACA). It is a fun and fit activity for IOT students and staff to participate in. Students set realistic lap goals, and each student who raises $25 will get a special autism bracelet.
This year, with Talk About Curing Autism (TACA), we have the opportunity to pay it forward!
Talk About Curing Autism (TACA) is a national non-profit organization dedicated to educating, empowering and supporting families affected by autism. For families who have just received the autism diagnosis, TACA aims to speed up the cycle time from the autism diagnosis to effective treatments. TACA helps to strengthen the autism community by connecting families and the professionals who can help them, allowing them to share stories and information to help improve the quality of life for people with autism.
Last year, TACA served over 50,000 families, awarded over 400 scholarships, and more!
Our goal is to help raise at least $1000.00 for Talk About Curing Autism (TACA). We hope that each student and staff member will participate in the walk-a-thon to the best of their ability. In order to reach our goal of $1000.00, we need 200 sponsors to donate $5.00 each. We hope to make this walk-a-thon AMAZING, so the more contributions you raise the more successful we’ll be at achieving our goal. Thank you for your participation!
We encourage you to make this a fun event! If you have family or friends affected by Autism, invite them to come and walk with you! All they need to do is get a visitor sticker from IOT Clovis’ front desk between 11:30am and the noon walk start time.
We will have a Sara J. from TACA here to give a brief speech about how this organization helps families including her own right here in the central valley and a flier with more information about TACA.
The more money we raise for the San Joaquin chapter the more families we can help! 1 in 68 children are diagnosed as being autistic. We can make a difference in the lives of families affected by Autism!
- Participants may start collecting pledges as soon as they receive the pledge sheets. Reminder: Pledge sheets need to be turned in on walk-a-thon day, Thursday, April 27, 2017. We accept cash and checks. (Checks can be made payable to TACA in the memo San Joaquin Valley Chapter)
- Pledges may be made by anyone. However, participants may not ask for pledges from any of the staff members of TACA or of Institute of Technology.
- Each sponsor making a pledge should write their own name, pledge per lap or flat rate (we recommend flat rate) and maximum pledge. Students may collect the pledges in advance but must keep pledges until the collection date.
- On walk-a-thon day we will walk during a specified time period on our campus. Each lap is approximately ¼ mile. Each participate will be issued a “lap tag” which will be punched each time the student reaches the starting point, thereby keeping track of the number of laps completed.
- Upon completion of the walk-a-thon, participants will hand in their lap tags. A staff member will record their lap total on their pledge sheet and return it. Participants will then collect outstanding pledges and return pledge sheets along with the money to the front desk by Tuesday, May 2, 2017.
- Participants are encouraged to wear sunscreen if it is sunny or bring rain gear if it looks stormy. Wear a crazy hat or crazy socks to spice things up. We will walk rain or shine!
- Prizes!!!- The top 3 students that raise the most money will get an IOT T-shirt and the top fundraising student will also receive an Amazon gift card.
We are looking forward to an AMAZING time! Click here to donate online!