Tomato-Basil Pasta Primavera
- 8 oz. – dried whole wheat or whole grain penne pasta
- 2 cups – frozen sugar snap peas
- 1 cup – assorted fresh vegetables
- 1 cup – sliced zucchini (or squash depending on liking)
- 1 cup – cherry tomatoes (halved or diced)
- ½ cup – reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. – all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. – salt
- 1 ¼ cups – low-fat milk
- ¼ cup – dry sherry
- ¾ cup – finely shredded Parmesan or Asiago cheese (3 ounces)
- ½ cup – fresh basil (coarsely chopped)
- 2 tsp. – fresh thyme
- 2 tsp. – fresh oregano
- ½ cup – diced green onions or chives (optional)
Approximate prep time – 15-20 minutes
Cook time – 20 minutes
Servings – 6
Calories – 250/serving
In a 4-quart pot, cook pasta according to package directions, adding the sugar snap peas and the assorted vegetables for the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain well and return to pot. Next add sliced zucchini and halved/diced cherry tomatoes.
In a medium saucepan, whisk chicken broth, flour, and salt until smooth (no clumps from flour). Stir in milk and sherry until thoroughly mixed. Cook and stir mixture until thickened and bubbly; continue to cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, basil, thyme, and oregano.
Add herb sauce to pasta mixture, tossing gently to coat thoroughly. Divide evenly among six serving plates. If desired, sprinkle with green onions or chives.